Skip to main content

Heart to Heart with Ron Sexsmith - An interview for Deer Life Blog Tour

I had a chance to read Ron Sexsmith's fairytale Deer Life in its infancy arc state. It's an ambitious book that reads more like poetry than a novel. Somehow this didn't surprise me. Ron Sexsmith is after all a songwriter, and if you follow him on Twitter, a witty, witty writer. You can read my review written a few months ago. 

When I was asked by Dundurn Press (publisher) if I would do an author interview, I jumped at the chance. Here's what he had to say about the book, his creative influences and most of all what's next.

Enjoy!


Who has been your musical influence growing up? Did you ever meet them? If so, what was that like?
Ray Davies of the Kinks, Elton John, Gordon Lightfoot, Paul McCartney and Leonard Cohen
And yes, I've actually met them all and except for Elton, I've also sang with them all too.

What inspired you to write a book? Did you struggle with the format? Writing songs verses writing a novel?
The story inspired me. I never had an idea for a story before. And yes, I really struggled with the format.
I was completely out of my element but I did the best I could. I'm really proud of the book but I have no doubt that
my inexperience shows on every page. Writing songs for me is much easier because I've been doing it a long time
and I know what needs to happen

What was the most enjoyable part of the journey? Did you ever get writer’s block?

I guess just meeting all the characters was very enjoyable. I became quite attached to them all and I didn't
expect that. I didn't really know what to expect to be honest.

The book is essentially a fairytale. Did you read a lot of fairytales as a kid? Haven’t seen a lot of fairytales translated into novels…where did you get the idea from?
Yes, I did and I've re-read many as an adult as well.I've always enjoyed books that were fantastical in nature.
The idea presented itself to me in a dream back in 2012 and at first
I thought it would make for a great musical. It was a fellow at Penguin books who encouraged to write in novel form.

You've made the transition from a critically acclaimed songwriter/troubadour  to published author, what's the next challenge for Ron Sexsmith?

I'm writing songs for a musical based on Deer Life..I'm hoping to get it off the ground

Comments