Skip to main content

The Woman Who Stole My Life by Marian Keyes

The pacing in the first half of the book is engaging. Protagonist Stella Sweeney, a part-time beauty therapist and full time mom, struggles in overcoming writer's block in scripting her novel One Blink At A Time. Marian Keyes keeps us in eager anticipation, wondering how Stella will bring her life back to normal after a crippling disease called Guillain-Barre. 

My curiosity kept me reading on. I wondered how Marian Keyes would attack the crippling illness, that seemed so strong and incurable. How would the protagonist, Stella Sweeney deal with such an over whelming gripping force taking control of her life, and still have the incredible gusto in her to persevere and be well again? There is a back and forth in time, that adds to the intrigue of the book. We are drawn to believe that Stella Sweeney gets better and then writes this book of philosophical maxims, coined One Blink At A Time. But at the same time, as we journey with Stella Sweeney through her devastating rare disease that leaves her bedridden and unable to move anything but her eyelids, we feel heartbroken and hopeless, and want to jump right in and save her.

There are wonderful insightful moments, especially those that reference One Blink At A Time

"When you are going through hell, keep going."

But there was a moment when the book fell short of my expectations. And, for that, I blame myself. That this is primarily categorized as a romance novel. Perhaps I should have known this before I picked up the book. Romance novels aren’t necessarily my domain and my genre of choice: I have nothing against them, they just don’t get my  senses tingling and engage me as a reader.

Notwithstanding my misgivings, The Woman Who Stole My Life did captivate my attention long enough for me to finish the book.

"If it's made with love, the imperfect becomes perfect." 

Readers of romance novels should read The Woman Who Stole My Life and perhaps share their comments below on what they thought of this book.

-----------------
Buy the book at Amazon : 
The Woman Who Stole My Life

Comments