Skip to main content

On Writing "Vanessa and Her Sister"

“About a third of the way through the book, it struck me as the most presumptive thing I could ever have done. I stopped cold for about a month while I panicked,” she explains, cringing at the memory. Vanessa Bell, who was a painter in the Bloomsbury Set and Virginia Woolf’s older sister, didn’t keep a diary. “I wanted to be in the first person, not the third person,” so she invented the entries. “I thought, ‘What am I doing?’ And the first time I realized that I had set myself up to have to write a letter from Virginia Woolf, [I thought], ‘Wow, what am I doing here? This is a gargantuan mistake!’”


Read the rest at For Priya Parmar, a career as a novelist wasn’t even in the plans from The Globe And Mail.

Don't forget to check our review of Vanessa and Her Sister.

Comments