Skip to main content

Happier At Home by Gretchen Rubin



Mise en place, French for "everything in its place".

Mise en place is preparation, but it's also a state of mind. Nothing is more satisfying than working easily and well.

Having more order in my cabinets & closets made me feel as though I had more time in my day.

There's a surgeon's pleasure that comes from sheer , from putting an object back in its precise place.

A source of clutter in my apartment, and worse in my mind, was the uncomfortable presence of unfinished projects.

Clearing clutter would eliminate 40% of housework.


Cheerfulness is contagious, and crabbiness is even more contagious.

If I make positive statements, I may help persuade myself and other people to take a positive view of things

One lives in the naive notion that later there will be more room than in the entire past.~E Canetti, The Human Province.


Find your own "built-in happiness"

Enter into the interests of others (within reason)

Over and over I found that if I acted lighthearted, I'd feel more lighthearted

One of the most effective ways to help myself underreact, I knew, was to joke about it.

"It isn't enough to love we must prove it" ~ Saint Theresa of Lisieux

Happier people tend to live in happier atmospheres than do less happy people


Act the Way you Want to Feel

In every area of my life I dislike the feelings of unfamiliarity or uncertainty. I love mastery.

We feel and act about certain things that are ours very much the way we feel and act about ourselves

By "undereacting to problems" & acting in a serene & unflappable way, I help myself cultivate a calm attitude.

If I make positive statements, I may help persuade myself and other people to take a positive view of things

If I want to feel more energetic, I walk faster.

If I want to feel less anxious, I act carefree.

When I felt hurried and distracted, I behaved worse.


Routine - isn't necessarily a bad thing

A small daily task, if it be really daily will beat the labours of a spasmodic Hercules.

The pleasure of doing the same thing, in the same way, every day, shouldn't be overlooked.


Last thoughts


One lives in the naive notion that later there will be more room than in the entire past.~E Canetti, The Human Province.


Happiness is not having less, happiness is not having more, happiness is wanting what I have.

Comments

  1. I think that happiness as a state of mind and being in control of one's thoughts and immediate environment (i.e. in one's home) is valid. It is descriptive of what we can control at the micro level. I would also argue that there is a sense of people not being in control of their lives due to forces beyond their control. This goes beyond an old fashiones Marxian construction of alienation to one's work and sepaks to the macro factors that make the lives of people ever chaning, evolving and ultimatley precarious. Something that speaks to such 'macro' factors is Helena Norberg-Hodge, Steven Gorelick, and John Page's film and project on 'The Economics of Happiness'. (Your readers can view the film here: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/theeconomicsofhappiness )
    It argues for greater localization in contrast to the globalization forces that are shaping our lives. Those latter forces are sometimes for the better but not always.

    Gretchen Rubin's "Happier at Home", in making the case for the upside of 'doing the same thing, in the same way, every day' but this flies in the face of 'who moved my cheese' movement that corporations invoke for workers to champioin whenever senior management argues for change that arguably has everything to to with short-term shareholder gain as opposed to long-term stakeholder sustainability and prosperity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that great link to The Economics of Happiness: (https://vimeo.com/ondemand/theeconomicsofhappiness)
    True, we do have a system that is wasteful and the stresses of living up to unattainable criteria is a never-ending spiral. Love the idea of localizing our economy, knowledge and even our spirits. Trailer is intriguing, look forward to watching the full movie.



    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment